Commerce is a popular stream among HSC (10+2) students in India. Having studied Commerce in Class XI-XII allows candidates to choose from a multitude of courses at Graduation level, paving the way for a range of career choices.
21 courses that are most popular at undergraduate (UG) level , among students who have completed Class 12th in Commerce.
These 21 courses are:
- BCom in Accounting and Commerce
- BBA LLB
- BCA (IT and Software)
- Chartered Accountancy (CA)
- Company Secretary (CS)Besides the above Commerce related courses, a Commerce student has the option to pursue various courses open to students after Class 12th Arts, such as:
- BA in Humanities & Social Sciences
- BA in Arts (Fine/Visual/Performing)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
- BDes in Animation
- BA LLB
- BDes in Design
- BSc in Hospitality & Travel
- BSc in Design
- Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication (BJMC)
- BHM in Hospitality & Travel
- Bachelor of Journalism (BJ)
- Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM)
- BA in Hospitality & Travel
- BA in Animation
Courses and their eligibility criteria:
BCom in Accounting and Commerce:
Bachelor of Commerce, also known as BCom/BCom (Hons) is an undergraduate degree that can be pursued by students who have cleared 10+2 in Science, Arts or Commerce stream.The duration of the course spans over a period of 3 years in Indian colleges/Universities.
- Popular cities: Delhi NCR, Bangalore, Kolkata, Mumbai and Pune.
- Popular specialisations: Accounting and Taxation
- B.Com Entrance Exams: BHU-UET, GLAET, GATA
Bachelor of Business Administration and Bachelor of Legislative Law Honours, popularly known as BBA LLB is an undergraduate Administrative Law professional integrated course. Students opting for BBA LLB get to study the combination of the study of Business Administration and Law. A student who has qualified Senior Secondary (10+2) with a minimum of 50% marks is eligible for this course.
Here is some useful information for aspirants looking to take up a course in BBA LLB
- Popular cities: Delhi/NCR, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai and Kolkata
- BBA LLB entrance exams: CLAT, LSAT, ACLAT
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)/ Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) is a precursor to Master in Business Management (MBA). BBA/BMS is the Bachelor’s degree undertaken to pursue a career in Business Management. Any candidate who has completed Class XII or equivalent in any stream with at least 50% marks in aggregate from a recognized board or university can pursue BBA/BMS.
- Popular cities: Delhi-NCR, Mumbai, Bangalore and Pune
- Popular specialisations: Retail, International Business, Sales and Marketing, Human Resources and Finance.
BCA (IT and Software)
BCA is an undergraduate course generally undertaken by students who wish to explore the world of Computer languages. A BCA degree is at par with a BTech/BE degree in Computer Science or Information Technology. A candidate who has cleared 10+2 from any discipline with Maths (in some cases English too might be a requirement), and has obtained a minimum of 45%-55% marks in aggregate can pursue BCA.
- Popular cities: Delhi NCR, Bangalore, Pune, Kolkata, Chennai
- Popular Specialisations: Networking Hardware & Security, Mobile App Development, Programming, Cloud Computing and Game Design.
- BCA entrance exams: BU-MAT, SET, GSAT
Chartered Accountancy (CA)
Chartered Accountancy or CA is a course Commerce students can pursue to become Chartered Accountants. To pursue CA in India, the candidate needs to register with The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). Any candidate who has completed Class XII or equivalent with at least 50% marks in aggregate from a recognized board or university can pursue CA.
Company Secretary (CS)
Company Secretary or CS is a course Commerce students can pursue after Class XII to become Company Secretary. Any candidate who has completed Class XII or equivalent with at least 50% marks in aggregate from a recognized board or university can pursue CS. To pursue the course and earn the CS degree the candidate has to register with the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI).
BA in Humanities & Social Sciences
BA is a bachelor’s degree in subjects related to social sciences, liberal arts and fine arts. BA is an undergraduate degree, one needs to have completed their 10+2 from Arts stream for this course. Apart from this, even Science and Commerce students are eligible to pursue a BA degree.
- Popular Cities: Delhi/NCR, Kolkata, Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune
- Popular Specialisations: Economics, Sociology, History, Political Science, Geography
- BA Entrance Exams: SUAT, JNUEE, BHU UET
BA in Arts (Fine/Visual/Performing)
BA in Arts is the bachelor’s degree undertaken to study courses in Fine Arts, Performing Arts and Performing Arts. BA in Arts is an undergraduate degree, one needs to have completed their 10+2 from Arts stream for this course. However, even Science and Commerce students are eligible to pursue a BA in Arts degree.
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) is a bachelor’s degree undertaken in the field of Fine Arts, Visual Arts and Performing Arts. BFA is an undergraduate degree and candidates can pursue it right after their Class 12.
BA LLB (Bachelor of Arts + Bachelor of Laws) is an integrated Law course offered at undergraduate level. Aspirants need to clear Class XII in any discipline with the minimum required percentage in order to be eligible for the course. The duration of BA LLB programme in Indian universities and colleges is typically five years.
Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication (BJMC)
BJMC (Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication) is a three-year long undergraduate degree programme. In order to be eligible for the course aspirants need to clear Class XII in any discipline. The course is suitable for students to wish to pursue their career in the media industry.
Here is some useful information for aspirants looking to take up BJMC course in Mass Communication & Media:
- Popular Cities: Bangalore, Delhi/NCR, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune
- Popular Specialisations: Journalism, Music & Sound Production, Film & TV, Media Planning
- BJMC Entrance Exams: LUACMAT, SRMHCMAT, Goenkan Aptitude Test for Admission
Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM)
BMM (Bachelor of Mass Media) is an undergraduate level Mass Communication programme of three years duration. Students aspiring to build their career in Mass Communication & Media industry can take up this course after they complete their Class XII.
Here is some useful information for aspirants looking to take up BMM course in Mass Communication & Media:
- Popular Cities: Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Gurgaon
- BMM Entrance Exam: Xavier’s BMS Entrance Exam